Thursday 17 November 2022

One Page Rules

For over a year now I've been toying about with One Page Rules (OPR), running small solo games to get up to speed.

One Page Rules are a free set of rules that have become very popular of late, providing an excellent game to use your fantasy and science fantasy armies with. they also have an excellent online army builder.

This week, OPR cropped up on our club table as a bit of a trial game. We didn't do much recording etc. as it was very much a training game, but there's a short report over at the Durham Wargames Group website here. I managed to take two measly photos before the fun and excitement overtook me!

We figured from turn one, that setting up high value targets in the open is a dangerous choice!

Plague brethren ready to get down with the sickness...

Briefly, I used a selection of my figures from my Death Guard and Crimson Fist Marines to put a small (1500pt) game of OPR on. 

As it turned out, OPR seem to have generated a burst of enthusiam within our group. The general feeling being these rules are:

  • Fun to play, easy at their core, but with surprising tactical depth.
  • Enjoyably engaging due to unit-by-unit alternate moves. You're always in the game rather than waiting about.
  • Challenging as there are always difficult tactical choices to be made.
  • Utilitarian because you can use whatever figure you want.

Dusty old collections, long dormant in lofts, and buried under the lead mountain are being dragged out and reassessed for use! I expect to see a mix of antiquated Games Workshop (GW) figures with newer models from GW and other manufacturers. Our resident gamer-with-the-3D rinter is also looking at printing suitable terrain. 

I've been looking at my British Redcoat Victorian Sci-fi models, and considering how best to add in some little tanks and support weapons for an OPR "Human Defence Force". I've also dug out a box of old orks, and considered finally painting up the rest of my Crimson Fists and Death Guard armies.

I also have some Tyranids that need some paint, and I think I can field 1500pts with what I have. They seem to be a quick and easy win on the painting table, so they're up first!

While I'm here I guess a quick run through of the start of the Tyranids would be in order.

Hive Fleet Zorn


No comments:

Post a Comment