Sunday 22 May 2022

Stargrave 006 - Favela (continued) and the Delta Complex

The favela buildings are almost finished now. Just a couple more to go, and I made a bonus "generator installation" from sprue and bits too.


The generator turned out OK I think. Its mostly Games Workshop space marine bits, and a couple of fragments of sprue on a polystyrene base. I coated the poly in PVA to try and protect it from the primer spray, but it did melt off a bit. No worries though..."it'll do".

I've also made a start on some objective markers. Some fuel drums, and a sort of drop pod thing (still to be finished).


Nearly done with the project, a friend of mine kindly donated an unexpected windfall with a set of TTCombat's Delta Complex. This is a set of mdf terrain, which looks pretty cool, so I set about building it. 

The set came with no instructions, which is an interesting choice! However there's a link to an online document so I went looking. All seems pretty self explanatory, and this is far from my first model so shouldn't be too difficult.



Armed with PVA glue, clippers, a file, and mask to avoid the worst effects of potentially dangerous mdf dust, I set to work. And after six frustrating and fiddly hours I finally got most of it built. 

I'm no expert but this isn't my first model project.  I'd say this is a kit for experienced builders, and not something a beginner would find easy. It is however a very well designed kit that fit together well. Despite the sometimes fiddly and thin bits of wood, I only broke two pieces, and these were easily fixed.

Next up, painting the whole edifice. I'm really not sure what to do here. I could go with an industrial yellow paintscheme, and that really appeals.  

Image at: https://norfolkreclamation.co.uk/large-industrial-yellow-painted-steel-barrel-with-swing-handle.html

But for the sake of simplicity and speed I may just go with rusted metal. Its seems "on theme" for Stargrave, and would probably tie in with the favela better.

I reckon this terrain will see use in other games, maybe some old 1990s Necromunda, Kill Team, One Page Rules, or similar sci fi type games.

Also the off-cuts from the kit will solve the problem I was having about how I'd make scrap piles for Stargrave scatter terrain.formed into piles with stones, bits, and PVA wwill make some solid piles of "industrial scrap".


What colour should I paint it? (Comment below!)


___________________

Stargrave 001

Stargrave 002 - Capran Prospectors

Stargrave 003 - Stragglers

Stargrave 004 - Exterminate!

Stargrave 005 - Favela


1 comment: