Sunday 23 April 2023

Death Guard Army Showcase Addendum 2

My project to get the Warhammer 40,000 armies finished, so that I have no bare plastic left for those forces continues at pace with my Death Guard.

Today on the table are three Forge World Greater Blight Drones.

Now then...these resin figures were an absolute pain to clean and build. There was a mountain of flash to clean off the and sizable casting gates that needed some serious effort to remove.  The construction, while relatively straightforward was made very frustrating and difficult by a combination of small contact points for the various parts, and a seeming resistance to superglue actually bonding the bits together. Resin is a pig to work with.

Afer struggling with the first one, I decided to pin the various parts for the second and third, but even then I'm sure these flimsy little blighters are destined for significant repair jobs in future when the bits fall off.

They also came with Games Workshop's clear plastic flying stands which were entirely inadequate for the job, so I replaced them with copper rods for a more sturdy fit.

Anyway, with the three models built I gave them a spray undercoat/basecoat. I always try to get the basecoat down in the main colour for the model, in this case green. I also oversprayed the fleshy bits at the back with a lighter ivory spray to make the painting process easier.  I actually wanted to do the main colour in brown, but I'd run out of brown spray rattlecans so green it was.


The first paint layers were nice and simple. I put a thinned wash of ocher over the flesh parts to lay down a basic skin.  Over the green, I painted and stippled a mid tone brown where I wanted the bare and rusted metal. With these base coats down, the project is actually almost finished!

So far, 2.5 hours of building the damn things, and 20 minutes of painting (not including drying time).






Next I painted in the neater metal parts and put a pink wash into the wounds.

The next stage is to develop the rust effect.  I do have Dirty Down Rust, which is excellent, but I began this army using my old rust rechnique so that's how I'll finish it! Over the brown, I stipple a bright orange in random patches.  




The the final stage is a simple drybrush of gunmetal over the orange/brown to bring it all together.  Its not the best rust effect but I like it and it does the job of suggesting aged, rusted, and corroded metal.

Things are almost finished now. Not bad for about an hour of painting. the final stage (before basing) is to throw on some washes.  These will mostly be going onto the fleshy areas, but the Agrax Earthshade will be to darken down some of the more corroded metal ares, and do some darkening of the recesses.

I apply the washes roughly, overlapping and blending them together to try to get a bruised and diseased look to it.

A few final highlights, with the red eye lenses, and yellow "pimples" and the Blight Drones are done.








These resin models were really troublesome and time consuming to build, and that was a chore.  But painting them was a joy.  I like painting the Death Guard models, and there's just something I find fun about making something look rusty and plague blown!

Just the basing to finish off, which I'll do tomorrow to let the paint job thoroughly dry.  



No comments:

Post a Comment