Friday 4 February 2022

Space Marine, Crimson Fists: Army Showcase

With a new house and a new hobby space, and a rare bit of time off work today, I thought I’d get on with sorting out the collection. I’m slowly taking stock of what I have, what I still have to paint, and I’m steadily getting paint on the bare lead/metal.

As yet, the pandemic is still keeping me away from the table, but I’m hoping that’ll change soon and these little toy soldiers can get pushed about amid the clattering dice again.

Today I dug out my Warhammer 40,000 (40k) Crimson Fist space marines and thought I’d do a bit of a showcase. Looking through them I see that the basing is in dire need of standardising and updating, but otherwise there’s a fair bit done.

I’ve been collecting these for many years, but aside from 8th Edition of the 40k game I’ve not played it much since 1st Edition. I sold most of my old models when I moved to Australia for a while, so these are mostly later models.  I’d also bought a few of the newer “Primaris” models.

Anyway, here’s the army on parade.

Mostly Firstborn, with a cadre of the new larger Primaris marines.

The Relic Terminators lead the way.

The rest of the Terminators follow on.

I've always liked the flyer, which i posed as if swinging round to turn back in on a target. The Thunderfire cannon (and Techmarine) is a "Finecast" model and was utterly horrific to put together. The barrel was so badly warped that I had to cut out a large part of it - hunce its stubby appearance. 

Firstborn heavy weapons Devastator marines. I always favoured the missile launcher (clearly!) for its versatility. they are flanked by the old metal Scout models. I mainly used them in sniper configuration.


The big man himself, Pedro Kantor. If i recall, this was also a "Finecast" model that I had to do a lot of work on to repair.

The grunts. Firstborn Tactical marines. I'm surprised I only have 23. I was sure I had more. Clearly they've been lost in the Warp.

A couple of the Dreadnaughts. I like these both in the lore and as models, but they've alwasy seemed to underperform for me. The arms aren't glued on so I can swap them out.

The Dreadnaught skulking off-camera there is an old metal model and weighs a fair bit! For some reason back in the mists of time, I stuck it on a square base. I guess I'll have to get round to putting it on a disc at some point.

Assault marines. I always found they overperformed for me, and I usually brought as many of these to the fight as I could.

Some more leaders.

The Primaris leader

Primaris Eliminators. I found these models tricky to assemble for some reason. I've tey to use them in anger.


The Primaris grunts - bigger and better than the Firstborn marines apparently...

Centurions - when you put a marine in a marine so you can marine while you marine. They're super-silly as a concept, but the few times I've used them they did well. I favoured them with heavy bolters, but gave one lascannons for a bit of punch against vehicles.

Redepmtor Dreadnaught. A real pain to build and I put a couple of bits on upside down. It's nice enough but lacks the charm of proper dreadnaughts in my view.


The three little tanks. Two are usable as Rhinos transports or Razorbacks.


I still have these to finish painting.

Then there’s these.

And I also have a bunch in boxes somewhere. Pretty sure there are a couple of drop pods and another Redemptor Dreadnaught knocking about. I’m sure I had a lot more bikers too.

See more here. (Infantry and bikes)

And here. (Drop pods)



1 comment:

  1. Love these. For Rynn! Hope you get a chance to play some games with them.

    ReplyDelete