Monday 16 October 2023

Necrons get reinforcements!

A few years ago I acquired a box of random Games Workshop Necron stuff. Some of it was already built, some painted but most was still on sprue.  I really had no idea what was in there, but figured its time to get it made up, painted, and added to my OnePage Rules Robot Legions army.

I fixed the broken bits and touched up the paint job on the stuff that was painted.  They’re the older type of Necrons with little green plastic tube weapons and I considered a full spray over and repaint.  But looking at them, aside from needing to tone down the lime green bits they were acceptable, so I just did the minimum, threw them on some new larger bases and called them done. 

There were also some beefy looking Necrons with heavy weapons already built but not painted. I figured out that they could be built as snipers, and I had the options still on sprue.  Sadly, the plastic glue welds were too strong so I couldn’t change them over without breaking the model.  So, no snipers for me! 

For the rest, I found some build instructions online and put everything together. As ever with Games Workshop models these are insanely fiddly and have FAR TOO MANY little parts.  I was constantly curing them with the refrain, “why is this in three parts?!” Anyway, its done now so on to the painting.

I stuck to the same scheme I’ve used for the pervious Robot Legion figures.

  1. Black undercoat (spray)
  2. GW Leadbelcher spray basecoat, dome as a rough zenithal effect to get the main colour down.
  3. Tinbitz for unit commander and special weapon demarcations.
  4. Dark green for cables
  5. Light green/yellow mix for the glowing ball thingies.
  6. GW Waywatcher’s Green glaze to give the rough impression of a glowy effect.  Sort of.
  7. Gloss varnish on the green glowy balls (to imply glass)
  8. Simple basing with fine sand (for larger bases I added a few tufts for visual interest).

On the big tower things, they seemed to have stone encasing the metal bits.  I’d considered a couple of options here, grey stone, black, or a dark green.  To keep in with the theme/tome of the army I went with dark green and unusually for me I did a crude edge highlight to emphasise the greenness of it.

Overall, these additions will take my One Page Rules Robot Legions army to around 10,000pts.  I’m not sure if I have anymore Necrons lurking around the darker ascents of my “Lead Mountain” (“pile of opportunity”), but there may be a few rogue singles knocking about.  I’ll paint them up to join the others if I find any more.

I checked the Games Workshop’s website to identify some of this stuff I’ve added and turns out it’s the following.

  • 1 Overlord
  • 5 Assorted “leaders”
  • 60 Necron Warriors
  • 21 Immortals
  • 21 Scarab Swarms
  • 1 Canoptek Spyder
  • 1 Night Scythe flyer
  • 1 Convergence of Dominion set (the three towers)
  • 3 Tomb Blades (little flying machine things)

Anyway, here’s a few pictographs of the various bits and bobs finished off.



The Night Scythe flyer





Convergence of Dominion set.
Not sure what this is but I'll use each of these in OPR, probably as a
Death Fortress or something.



Scarab Swarms!



I imagine these would burrow up from the ground so did some
emerging from the sand.

The Robot foot troops

A tin head is for the special weapon chap.  Added ton shoulders make the unit leader.

Canoptek Spyder.  Nice little model I think.




Tomb Blades.  I think these were supposed to be on GW's fiddly
flying bases but I didn't have any, so brass rod and a decent base will do.

Reminds me of something out of Star Wars.


I like the way the Robot pilot is basically welded in!


Some older Necron models.  I left them with the green plastic rods and just
gave them a touch up paint job.

Some "leaders"

This chap is a VERY old original metal Necron model.



This is an older leader figure I think. It was broken
so I added a few bits on and called it a day. It'll do.


A couple of leader figures?  I painted them slightly differently.


Immortals. Shame I couldn't change these into snipers.





No comments:

Post a Comment