Monday 23 October 2023

Putrid Blightkings

My painting schedule for the year continues at a pace, and after the nice clean lines a Necron army, I’m back on more familiar ground with a brief diversion into the grime and filth covered realms of a Nurgle plague force.

In this case, I found a box of Age of Sigmar Putrid Blightkings.  I think I bought these to use for conversions with my Warhammer 40k Death Guard, but never made use of them.  We’re now playing a fair bit of One Page Rules: Age of Fantasy Skirmish, so these will form the core of a Plague warband for those games.  Most likely I’ll pair them with my plague demons for a nice mixed force.

So, I glued these little fellows together, which was relatively painless for Games Workshop figures, and set to painting. The main colour blocks on these are for diseased flesh so I undercoated them with an off-white base. I used my mishmash of various washes to approximate the rotten skin.

I considered going with a rusted metal for the armour but decided instead to replicate the box art colour schemes, which are also very close to my Death Guard army.  I did rust up the weapons though.

A couple of hours work and I’m happy with the results.

Clearly Nurgle’s rot hit the camera, and these photos aren’t the best quality for focus and crispness.  I also noticed that although they look fine in person, the base rims look awful on camera.  Not sure why but I may need to give them another coat.

Anyway, here’s the result.


The head on this cha seems a little small to me. 
In hindsight, I think I should have found a larger head for him.

He'll make a good "wizard" figure i think.

This figure has an odd retro sort of "single plane" pose reminiscent of old metal figures. Such poses were an artefact of metal casting.

I like this one.  He's super-iconic for Nurgle I think and the bloated leg is suitably icky!



Ugh...blurred image. Its a decent enough shot of the corrupted flesh though,




No comments:

Post a Comment