Thursday 14 September 2023

Stormcast Eternals

For over a year now I’ve been playing the excellent One Page Rules Grimdark Future rules and continue to do so, especially now that the 3rd edition of those rules have been released.  But lately we’ve expanded our games into a bit of fantasy skirmishing using One Page Rules Age of Fantasy Skirmish rules.

So, I’ve been digging around in on the easter face of the Lead Mountain, plucking out a few small collections of as yet unused miniatures and getting them painted ready for use on the tabletop.  We’re on a bit of a hiatus at the moment, what with summer holidays and a few other disruptions, and I’ll be away next week so it looks like it’ll be early October before I can get these chaps into battle.

I happened to have a few sprues of Games Workshop’s “Stormcast Eternal” figures.  Of course, I didn’t have the build instructions so things took a bit longer to put together, and there was a lot of trial and error bolting the bits on. Not sure exactly what these are but they look like high fantasy knights of some kind. As usual with these sorts of models i like to paint them close to the “box art”, so in this case a nice bright shining gold scheme was in order.  This sort of paint job is a struggle for me as I much prefer to paint a scrappy, battle worn and rusted figure, but these ones are bright and clean.  I did my best here to try to get the paint within the lines so to speak.  They came out OK I think.

It actually wasn’t too bad to paint and (not counting drying time) I think these got done in a couple of hours. 

I started with an ivory undercoat, painted thinned gold over that, and threw on a diluted reddish wash (Reikland Fleshshade). I then drybrushed a mix of the gold with silver lightly over the top.

The blue is a simple mid blue, applied in a couple of thin coats and subtly washed with a blue wash.  The red accents were a red contrast paint with a Carroberg Crimson wash.

The weapons were given a brass hilt and bright silver blade, with thinned brown and black washes.

A simple base and call them done!

In One Page Rules terms these are “Eternal Wardens” and I have enough figures here for a 450pt skirmish force.

















No comments:

Post a Comment