Friday 1 September 2023

Star Wars Legion

A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away…etc.

Yeah well, in 1977 Star Wars changed my little life.  Before I saw the movie at the local cinema I was obsessed with Dinky cars and dinosaurs.  Afterwards my childhood was dominated by Star Wars.

So, in 2018 when Fantasy Flight Games released the Star Wars Legion game I obviously bought the core set.  And…yeah.  Then, well I played it a couple of times and then shelved it.  Don’t get me wrong, Legion is an excellent game, but at the time I was playing other games and Legion just sort of passed me by.

With various stars aligning – a house move so that I now have a dedicated hobby space, and my recent adoption of One Page rules as my go-to wargames rule set, I figured it was time to paint up what I had.

Not sure exactly what I’ll be doing with them, but here’s the tally so far.

A combat droid force of the Confederacy of Independent Systems (CIS) from the Clone Wars era. This is the force out of the core box, but I also added Asajj Ventress.

The core box force is led by General Greivous.  The figure comes with cloaked and uncloaked options and I chose the uncloaked version. Lightsabres are hard to paint so I went with a stylised scheme.  I may add some object source lighting effects at some point to try and represent their glow.

Asajj Ventress is a character from the Clone Wars TV series. I painted her in line with the box art.

B1 battle droid commanders. "Roger, roger!" These hard plasting models were INCREDIBLY fiddly to assemble and seem very fragile. As with most of the models I painted them as close to the on-screen imagery as possible. These commander droids have yellow marking.  I gave the heavy weapon droids a red scheme too, but I'm not sure if that's accurate.  It'll help identify them in a game anyway.

I always felt the droidekas were a bit odd as a robot concept. I struggled to get the colours right, but I think I got the colours pretty close. Again these models were super fiddly to assemble and they come in standing poses and also rolled up in a ball.  I thing the game rules allow you to transform between the two during play - one form for fighting the other for fast movement.


Next up, the clone troopers from the Clone Wars era core set.  These wear phase 1 armpur with the 1930's sci-fi style helmet.  These came in the older Fantasy Flight Games soft plasting so their guns are a little bendy.  The advantage though is they they are basically prebuilt which i very much like. 

Obi-Wan Kenobi in his prime (with bendy lightsabre). I'm really pleased with the way this figure came out.

The clone troopers were a struggle to paint as white is really quite difficult to get right.  That coupled with the need to do small neat areas of black makes for a nightmare of a painting session.

I made the clone leaders sergeants, so in phase 1 armour this means that have green markings.



The clones come with a BARC Speeder.  I struggled to find a definitive on screen colour scheme for this model so I went with a sort of light tan colour with red markings. I left the rider's torso unglued so i can swap out the weapon from a missle launcher to gun.




Obviously I had to get the Ahsoka model (I bought Ahsoka and Ventress at the same time - seems only right for these two adversaries). I painted her according to the box art.

Ahsoka's base still needs flocking.

Next up we move to the Rebellion era of the original movies, and here's the Rebel force.


I suplemented the core box force with some fleet troopers, because, well, I like them so much.  Interestingly the washes I used have turned out very shiny.  I think I need to put some matt varnish on them.


The Rebel field forces, I guess heavily inspired by the Battle of Endor's Moon. The blue headed dudes are Duros.


Luke is the core box "hero", so I baught his sister Leia.  I also picked up Sabine Wren from the Rebels TV series.


The Rebels get a couple of All Terrain Recon Transports (AT-RT).  Nice models.


Finally, the forces of the Empire, the classic stormtroopers led by Darth Vader.


Vader himself is an OK model but again the soft plastic Fantast Flight Games originally used means he has a droopy lightsabre. 


Of course the stormtrooper leaders have to have the orange pauldron. I found the stormtroopers harder to paint than the clone troopers.


Finally, some scout troopers on speeder bikes.  I really like the way these turned out.




1 comment:

  1. Nice looking forces! I was painting some Clone troopers earlier in the year and that unit just killed my interest/momentum in painting. Getting White the way you like can be tough.

    ReplyDelete