Wednesday 26 January 2022

Turnip 28 (Part 3)

 And so, onto the painting.

I’ve got a plan to stick to the Zorn palette and go with a limited number of warm colours around the red, brown and mustard/ochre tones. My plan is to match any light tones to a “parsnip” type colour and to have the main livery colour as a dark toned red.

I set about the undercoat with a black base and ivory zenithal highlight. I was planning to use mainly contrast paints, but as it turns out I switched to a mix of standard and contrast paints so I’m not sure I made the most of the zenithal highlight. It can’t hurt though.





It was a cold day when I was spraying, and as I was out in my garage/car port, a neighbour popped out to chat to me, so I was distracted whilst spraying. Hence, I got the distance wrong and sprayed from too far away creating this speckled look.  No bother though, and T28 is a grimy sort of aesthetic so this sort of error isn’t going to be too bad. To be honest, most of my painting is grim and grimy in style anyway so nil desperandum!

I decided to go with quite a red/orange tone to the skin. I thought about making it pallid, but as I was intending to have a light colour as a main part of the clothing, I didn’t want the skin to blend in too much.  

I’m not entirely happy with it so I may either highlight it up a bit or wash it down to be even earthier and darker.

I wanted the metal to be rusted. There are many ways to achieve this effect, but I use a quick and easy “splotch” technique, with a dark brown, and then two passes of orange/brown and orange, with a final heavy drybrush of gunmetal. Some day I may try out a better technique, but this does for now.







So…nearly there. Just a few final colours and washes, and the bases to “muddy up” and these’ll be done.

Turnip 28 (part 1)

Turnip 28 (part 2)

Turnip 28 (Part 4)



No comments:

Post a Comment