Sunday 23 January 2022

Turnip 28 (Part 2)

Progress is made!

Turnip 28 (Part 1)

Turnip 28 (Part 3)

Turnip 28 (Part 4)

This Turnip28 project continues at a pace…of a sort. In keeping with the themes of the T28 project I’ve gone with a full kit-bash approach and as such every model must be altered, converted, kit bashed, or scratch built to some degree. So, the construction stage has been taking more time than usual, but I’m now done.  The greenstuff is curing, and the PVA drying, so it’ll be a good 24hrs before the painting stage begins.

The Toff

The leader of the Parsnip Eaters (as yet an unnamed chap), is made from a Games Workshop figure I picked up a few years back in a job lot. I’ve no idea what it was meant to be, but it seems to fit the T28 aesthetic pretty closely. I’ve used it with very little change, except for the edition of a helm-spike and some (badly made) greenstuff parsnips.

Toff flanked by his Toadies.


Parsnips are clearly a status symbol (or possibly an indication of wealth) in the Parsnip Eater regiment! These aren't particularly well-sculpted - I'll try and make is better with paint.

Toadies

I’d planned to have an all-infantry force but rummaging around the various bits boxes I found a sprue with two Napoleonic cavalry figures on.  



This Toady rides into battle with his favourite big Parsnip for good luck.

I think they were a “free gift” on the front of a Wargames magazine. I can’t see me using them for anything else, so turns out my Toadies ride horses now. Some weird bits from the box gives them a “Turnip twist”.

Fodder unit (12 with muskets)

The Fodder unit, armed with muskets has been finished off.

Obviously the Fodder do all the lifting and carrying, so they need good backpacks...

...and after some greenstuff work, Parsnips!

Brutes unit (6 with muskets)

I’d planned for two units of Brutes, one armed with muskets, the other with close combat weapons. To differentiate them from the Fodder, I went with making them more armoured.

We's the brutes so we gets the tin suits see?

"That's Alfred on the end. He died a couple of years back, but we haven't told him yet. He lead's the charges..."


Brutes unit (6 with melee weapons)

And with these Brutes, I went with a more degenerate and vegetable-mutated look for them. I figured these Brutes had mutated to the point of not being able to use muskets. I found a couple of suitably weird looking metal miniatures. I altered one with a spear and shield.  The other one remains un-modified, breaking another of my “rules” for the project.



Liquid greenstuff ain't gonna cut it i think. Err...non-liquid greenstuff will be needed.





Greenstuff to the rescue.

Rootlings unit (4 with melee weapons)

I really wasn’t sure what to do for the “Rootlings”. After a good rummage I found some Games Workshop goblins. Mixing them with some Games Workshop Branch Wraith bits I’m pleased with the result.

Ugh...terrible photo, but these Rootlings turned out pretty creepy-cool.


Next up, the paint…

 


No comments:

Post a Comment